BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Researching dialogue

When I was a girl, my mom used to put my hair in a ponytail to keep me from hiding behind my hair. Every morning, the first thing I'd do when I got to school was rip out that scrunchie.

There is something comforting in the ability to hide behind one's hair, when necessary. The feeling of hiding in plain sight. It works too. People feel more comfortable talking amongst themselves when you aren't staring them down.

The best part is, you end up coming across little gems like this:

I was at the book store, picking up Jeaniene Frost's new book (whoop! whoop!). As the lady behind the counter was ringing my order through, the boy at the till beside her suddenly got all flustered. A girl was walking out of the store.

Boy (to Lady): What's she doing here? Why is she leaving?

Lady: I don't know. Why?

Boy: I don't like her leaving when I didn't even see her come in.

Boy (to Girl): What are you doing here?

Girl (mumbling): Just checking to see when I work next.

Boy: I'd more likely believe you were checking the contents of my locker. If my Dora the Explorer alphagettis are missing -

Girl: I was hungry!

It was beautiful.

Dialogue Research Tips
  • Don't be creepy. If you are listening to someone, don't look at them. That's creepy.
  • If someone says something funny, don't laugh. You are technically reading the sign taped to the lamp-post.
  • Don't jump in half-way and offer advice.
  • Don't spread the gossip. Seriously. If someone knows you are an eavesdropper, they will avoid you. You never heard what was said.
  • In line at the movie theatre works. Just shuffle around in your wallet / purse / look for your car keys.
  • You don't have to do this with strangers only. You can listen at family dinners etc. Participating in the conversation has a bit of a nulling effect though.
  • Walk on the safe side: listen to the radio.
More tips? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

0 comments: