BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Calendar of Love


After I finished my M Sc last winter, I felt a sudden sense of freedom. I could read whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. So I did.


About 2 weeks and 20 books later, I hit a wall. A wall of books. Suddenly, I had trouble choosing books I loved. I enjoyed them, but didn't always love them. Some I didn't even enjoy. Some I didn't finish.

I recently discovered a book that made my heart sing: George MacKay Brown's A Calendar of Love. This collection of short stories gave me everything I was looking for in a book.

It also made me realize what I was looking for: an author who trusted I wasn't a dummy. An author who realized I could work a few things out for myself.

This book follows the lives of people living in Orkney. The stories touch on the lives of people who live there, softly following the characters and places from story to story. While reading, I felt like a silent observer, where I had no control over the what or when, but if I didn't try too hard and just absorbed the experience, I might feel what it was like to be this set of islands in Northern Scotland.

One of the things I loved best is there is potential to miss the little things if attention is not paid. I'm certain I missed a couple things, which makes me excited to read this book a second (or third) time.

If anyone wants an example of a book that shows and does not tell, this is it.

Does anyone else have a book they enjoy for its ability to show, not tell?

0 comments: