BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Dark Highlander Book Review

Based on my past posts regarding reading material, you may have inferred I have a thing for vampires / anything paranormal. You would have inferred correctly. I'm about to let you in on my darkest of secrets: my love of vampire / anything paranormal books is nothing when compared with my love of highlander books.

What trumps a highlander book? A paranormal highlander book.

With that out of the way, I would like to suggest you give Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series a read, especially one of my favorites: The Dark Highlander. It isn't the first book in the series (its the fifth), but it is the first Karen Marie Moning book I read, thus I am qualified to say it was a great introduction to the series and it made me want to read more of the related books in both directions.

A series-related warning from your friendly neighborhood book nerd:

If you want to read in chronological order, feel free to start with Beyond the Highland Mist, or maybe Kiss of the Highlander. If you have the urge, try not to read The Immortal Highlander until you have at least read one or two of the earlier books (ex. this one) so you really have a feel for the world - it's worth the wait.

Anyway, why should you want to read this book:

As you may have inferred from the title, Daegus MacKelter is a dark and brooding highlander who has used his Druid powers and a set of standing stones to travel through time to protect his brother who had been spelled into a sleep spanning over five thousand years.

The use of the standing stones may have protected his brother, but it caused Daegus to become possessed by the spirits of thirteen evil druids imprisoned in the circle. Through the search for (and theft of) ancient texts that may possibly free him from the evil spirits and the inevitable madness as a by-product of their possession, Daegus meets Chloe Zanders, an antiquities dealer.

How do they meet? Daegus finds Chloe under his bed, snooping out the antique texts he stole. What is his solution? Kidnap her, of course. Or rather, not allow her to leave until he can find the answers he needs (without her reporting him to the authorities). The upside: Chloe offers a second set of educated eyes as well as a few extra tricks she has up her sleeves to help him find how to break the curse before the madness overtakes him and he becomes The Dark Highlander.

This book has it all: Laughter. Adventure. Mystery. Steamy moments. Shirtless Highlanders. In fact, I would consider this a keeper / reread book. Let's all take a moment to enjoy the cover art.

Are there any Karen Marie Moning fans in the crowd?

3 comments:

Janet said...

Huge Karen Marie Moning fan here! Loved all her books - like you, I found one out of order and then went back and read them all sequentially.

She's an auto-buy for me now.

Janet said...

Hey there! I've awarded you a "One Lovely Blog Award" over on my blog. I'm supposed to e-mail you, but you don't have your contact info on your profile...

So, I'm doing it this way. Congrats - come by tomorrow (18th) to see what I have to say about you. Don't worry, it's all good :)

Stephanie said...

Thanks Janet. I still haven't figured out how to add on contact info but am working on it :)