BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 26, 2010

Make me believe you

Have you ever read a book where you just didn't believe what is happening? I don't mean agree with specific viewpoints, I mean BELIEVE IT IS REALLY HAPPENING. It can go on and on and you just want to call, "BS! I don't believe you!". How can a story have so much room to share and leave the reader feeling hollow? Perhaps it is because a story's length provides just enough rope to hang one's self with.

Take song lyrics, for instance. How long is a song? Two minutes? Five minutes? A person is not expected to sit down with that song for 7 hours. After two minutes, a person can love a song, hate a song, feel indifferent, listen to it until every word is memorized. A song has an infinitesimal amount of time to share its message. The message might be random, vapid awesomeness (nothing wrong with that if you ask me), but every now and then you'll come across a set of lyrics that can tell you exactly the person who wrote them felt in less than ten words. Less than five.

  • "Love is a first"
  • "I want you to want me"
  • "Like the red sea, she split me open"
  • "I'm not going to write you a love song"
  • "When a heart breaks, it don't break even"

I like to think there has to be one special thing a person does in their life. Everyone does special things every day, but there is one extraordinary thing that will stand out when all is said and done. The trick is, you won't know what it is until all is said and done.

In that same tone, every task performed repeatedly in one's life will have one moment that out-shines the rest. Even buying milk - I don't know how, you figure it out and let me know when you do ;)

What it all boils down to is you can write a story, or a song, or a letter. But don't censor it to become something you think another person will want to see. Write what is real. Write what really happens. Don't say, "She's wonderful and exciting," when what you really need to say is, "She's as hard as AC/DC, she gets my thunder struck."

I can't see the fire in your eyes, but I want to read it.

0 comments: