BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The one that started it all

This book is the reason I believe no matter how cool they make ebooks, they will never completely replace the real deal.


This is a copy of Marguerite Henry's Misty of Chincoteague I found in a used book store. It is also the first signed book I have ever owned.

Every time I hold this book in my hands, I realize not only am I holding a book I love, my favorite childhood book, in fact; I am holding a book Marguerite Henry held. A book she signed. A book she personalized. It wasn't meant for me, but it was meant to be special.

Sadly, I will never get to meet her. She died in 1997, but this book allows a way for me to connect with one of the people who had a positive influence on my life. That's right writers; like it or not, you are influencing a person's life.


In the same way some people get excited about going to concerts or have favorite athletes, I have an affinity toward authors who positively impact my life with their writing. I have built up a small collection of books signed by their authors. Books meant for me (Books someone else will own one day).

There is one thing I know about this one. I think I knew it the first time I held it in my hands. No matter how many I obtain, there will be something about this one that gives a little extra tug at my heart.

0 comments: