BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 16, 2010

Somewhere else - the smell of peat

Sometimes the imagination is enough, but every now and then, a person wonders how close what they make up is to the real deal. I'm working on a story set in Scotland where the smell of peat smoke is described - but haven't actually smelled it. I came across the website for the Ardbeg Distillery in the Isle of Islay, Scotland. They sell incense cones. Peat incense cones.


What was my reaction?:

Sign me up.

It turns out, that's what I had to do. I figured I was just signing up for a random email list I would end up unsubscribing my email address from after.

Two weeks ago, a package arrived in the mail. Apparently, I've joined a committee. Yay! I even have a member number. Islay is an island with a population of less than 3500 people and 140 committees. It is officially on the list of places I want to live one day.

Anyway, part of being on the committee involves being sent a Rules and Regulations Handbook (and a sticker). It contains a combination of helpful tips on how best to enjoy Scotch (Ardbeg Scotch, of course. I need to support my committee), songs, old Scottish sayings, history and famous quotes.

My two favorite rules (both resulting in the office of the member being vacated):
  • If a member becomes unsound of mind, as shown by the development of a preference for a spirit other than Ardbeg.
  • If a member is directly or indirectly involved in diluting Ardbeg with anything other than water.
As someone who loves reading random awesomeness, this was a book nerd's dream come true. In the end, I learned more about Scotland from this little packet than I ever could had I found peat incense back home. Oh, the treasures we come across when we least expect it.

Slainte

5 comments:

Janet said...

That's so interesting, Stephanie! My favorite Scotch is an Islay Scotch (I don't think it's Ardbeg, but I don't want a member of the committee to ban me from the blog, so I'll just leave it at 'an Islay Scotch'). The peatiness is wonderful on the back of the throat - and no water for me (my good Scottish ancestors would haunt me for watering down a good drink). I've just discovered that chocolate brownie and caramel sauce is the perfect pairing for a good Scotch - in case you're interested.

As for the smell of peat - earthy, rich, almost sweet. It lingers in the air, clings to your clothes. Very unique!

BTW - did they send you some peat incense?

Stephanie said...

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the response. I won't ban you from the blog if you won't tell my fellow committee members I haven't tried Ardbeg yet ;) When I do, I believe I will pair it with your recommended brownie and caramel sauce.

They sent the peat, but it took a bit longer because of customs. It smelled exactly the same and totally different from what I expected. You've done a good job of explaining it.

Linda Sandifer said...

Great post. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And thanks for the info about the Scotch, brownies, and caramel sauce. I'll have to put it on my bucket list.

Laurel Wanrow said...

Whoa, Stephanie,
Today I am searching for the smell of peat - blanket bogs actually - and hit your website in a google search. I have a YA urban fantasy I set on an island between Ireland and Scotland and use both for my natural history. I also wanted to get the smell right when my heroine emerges onto a blanket bog. Your blog entry has shot off all knids of connections for me: I follow Pub Rants. I have a secondary character I named Isla, for the island. I have a scotch in a SF I named Aardness Gold after the name of the planet, Aarde.

I want to figure out how to join this community.

I NEED to go back to writing my chapter while the house is quiet.

But there are so many connections in our writing, I would love to swap emails. I didn't find a contact form, but will come back or hope you see this and reach me through my website.
Many thanks on the peat smell verification from you and your commenter Janet!

Best wishes on your writing!
Laurel

Stephanie said...

Hi Laurel,
Clearly we are kindred spirits. That's so cool. If you check out the Ardbeg site, there is an online form to sign up. I will set something up for emails or find you on your site.