BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Soulless Book Review


Hang onto your bustles: Alexia Tarabotti's in town.


In Gail Carriger's Soulless, Alexia Tarabotti is a preturnatural. What's that, you say? A being whose touch can cancel out a vampire or werewolf, making them human so long as she maintains contact.

This book takes us back to an earlier time where all living beings, supernatural or otherwise, are held to the social mores of London society. A simpler time. Or so it would seem...

Despite appearances, not all are pleased with the status quo. What those eager for change are willing to do places Alexia right in the middle of trouble. Lucky for her (and us), Alexia is not the kind of woman to sit idle while others try to snack on her, etc. I don't know if she has a motto or not, but I have a suggestion:

When in doubt, bring a parasol.

How should this book be classified?

Well, you could put this book in a box, but it would have to be octopus-shaped. Is it a fantasy? Is it a romance? Is it a mystery? Is it a paranormal? Is it a historical? Is it steampunk? Is there tea? Is it hilarious?

Yes.

(ps-What's steampunk? Think Wild Wild West)

This story came to a satisfying end, but left enough dangling threads for me to need to read the next book in the series, Changeless (I should say want. I need to read it, but even if I didn't, I would still want to).

(ps#2-Looking for a good kissing scene? This book should come with a warning.)

Have you read the book already? If so, tell me what you thought about it.

Feeling up for some fun? Check out this online dress-up doll (click here). I don't envy her the layers at all.

In the mood for some book cover déjà vu? Check out this online store (click here). They even have a special parasol made in Alexia's honour (click here).

1 comments:

StephanieD said...

This was such a fun book to read. I love Alexia's quirkiness and Carriger's style. I have Changeless; I'm still trying to find the time to read it.